Monday, August 4, 2008

Wildlife and a pre-race

Wildlife
Well, the training plan at night around home has taken a turn. I was out for a ride a week or so ago about 8:30pm and rustled up a deer and a few miles later something came out at me, it was either a raccoon, skunk or possum. Kinda startled me and I rode faster.

When I got home Uncle Leo was barking at the back wall. When I called him in I could hear something up in the avocado tree. Of course I grabbed the camera and a flash light, I kept looking around and then I saw it.... a brown bear. I tried to get pictures but didn't get close enough for the flash so none of them turned out. They would have been great of the guy peeking over the wall at me. I ran back in side and grabbed the video cam, by the time I got back out there the bear was up on the wall. I need to get a video capture to post a video clip. The bear stayed up there for about 10 minutes then hopped back up in the tree to get some more avocados. I think I need to put some chips out there so he can make guacamole.

The result is I'm not as into running around here late at night and I've kicked in the noontime runs at work shooting for at least 3 times a week.

Pre-race
I joined the team from work for a pre-race out at Zuma where we actually did the whole course. Turns out we did about 75% of the swim, the whole 18mile ride and 4 mile run...and I made it.


The swim.
Went better than I expected. We all went into the water together and out the 150 yards. We floated and gathered together while Scott gave us all some tips then started swimming up the coast past 3 lifeguard towers. Some of the others turned around and swam back, I headed to the shore. Felt pretty good, 14 minutes.


The ride.
We set off in two groups, me in the second a couple of minutes behind. Once we got out of the parking lot and onto PCH I just kick in and started going. The course seems a lot less hilly than the rides I've been doing up to now so I was able to get some good sped going and I caught up to some of the folks from the first group and finished the ride in 20 minutes less than I've been doing 28 miles out here.

The Run. The run is down the sidewalk along the beach..... which means flat. That works well for me.

Overall it felt good, and very encouraging to complete all of the events in one shot. The fear of drowning is subsiding but the swim was still a lot of work... more practicing to do.

No comments:

A video of an old friend

Into the Void (cover) - Michael Gulezian live Cover of Nine Inch Nails' "Into the Void" by Michael Gulezian @ Hillsdale Colleg...