Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Exhaustion

So, I was supposed to do my push up test yesterday... I ended up Christmas shopping, how hard could it possibly be to find a dolls baby swing? So I picked up the plan tonight. I'm not sure how accurate of a test I did though. I started doing my push ups during warm ups at hapkido, someone started talking to me and lost count then class started so I had to stop. I think I was in the area of 45-50 and I felt pretty good, like I had another 10 or more in me. So later tonight I decided to try again and got to 55. Not sure how accurate it is with the number I had done earlier but I'm gonna go with it, it still puts me on column 3 of the plan. I'm gonna re-do week 4 of the plan.

Today we shut down the ATM network at work. It was originally installed back in 1997, someone made a brilliant decision that gig-ethernet was too bleeding edge and ATM was the better way to go. Over the last 3 years we have been under the process of shutting it down, this involved bulding out a gig-E infrasturcture including a 10 gig core and data center with 14 distribution layer routers servicing approximately 250+ access layer switches. Amazingly, we rolled that out in about 7 months shutting down ATM infrastructure as we went until all that remained was one datacenter that did internet hosting. A new gig-E hosting infrastructure was completed about 1 1/2 years ago and to a large extent sat empty waiting for applicaitons to move. It was not a "build it and they will come" event, it seems the apps folks needed a fire burning under them to get moving and they finally got moving about 2 months ago.

When we were told the last of the apps had moved... not really a well planned project it really involved a long string of unplanned emergency change controls to overcome their planning (do you sense that it was us, the network folks that had to compensate for the lack of planning?) there was celebration, I left all of the alerting turned on and we went down to the datacenter and started powering stuff off. It was glorious. Some of the equipment was end of life and end of support 2 years ago, if we had had parts fail there were no replacements to be had.

No comments:

A video of an old friend

Into the Void (cover) - Michael Gulezian live Cover of Nine Inch Nails' "Into the Void" by Michael Gulezian @ Hillsdale Colleg...