Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Longest run of my life

So, Monday was a holiday here so after hanging with the kids for the morning I figured it was the day to get a long run in before the Pasadena 1/2 Marathon next weekend. So far the knee has been recovering well and I've been adapting to the feel as I run which feels good. The feel and motion with interaction with the ground from the VFF floves is pretty amazing, there's a feedback from the ground that's hard to describe.

Back to yesterday's run. I set out from the house and headed down the hill not sure really how far I was going to go. I headed out to the bike path and was able to run on the dirt path along the side. I ened up going five miles out which was downhill or flat most of the way which meant flat or uphill for the run home. Five miles put me at the San Gabriel River where I turned around. The five miles home wasn't bad, my goal was to remain consistent. I'm not a fast runner but my endurance seems to be coming along and my time back was equal to my time out. I kept a consistent 10 minute mile and returned in exactly 100 minutes.

How did my feet feel running that far in the floves? Well there were times along the way that the balls of my feet felt a little sore and I was able to modify my stride and landing and the soreness eased up so overall during the run it felt good. That changed a bit once I got home and sat down. My feet were pretty tender when I stood up, a little bit of walking felt better. When I laid down for bed they got sore again and woke me up a couple of times. Walking around during the day today they felt better and I went for a 2 1/2 mile run at lunch just to keep loose. Again a little sore but feeling good this evening.

So, my plan is to get two more 2 1/2 mile runs in this week. I don't want to over do anything before the race on Sunday.

No comments:

A video of an old friend

Into the Void (cover) - Michael Gulezian live Cover of Nine Inch Nails' "Into the Void" by Michael Gulezian @ Hillsdale Colleg...